3.12.10

Homage to The Black Swan



Sex, Obsession, Ballet, Twisted Fairytale

What more could a girl want - lol?   After viewing the trailer for this movie, I'm left with the understanding that this is not a fairytale for children.  This twisty allegory about transformation is a dark cautionary tale of "be careful of what you desire".  Created for adults, this movie is more in keeping with the terrifying tales of the Brothers Grimm (which probably should never be read to children).  It's the dark, disturbing counterpoint to our beloved, white feathered maiden, the Queen of Swan Lake. 

It's not often that I am mad with anticipation to see a movie...the usual fare of Hollywood Happy Meals nauseates.  In the case of Black Swan, waiting another week to see this movie is cutting crossly into my mental functioning.  My little inner ballerina (who actually owns a pair of satin ribboned black toe shoes) is acting out...incessantly, loudly pounding against the floors in her en pointe toe blocks. 

To calm myself and temper my 'waiting some more' disappointment, I turn to hand sewing today which usually has a centering effect.  I reach back to comforting childhood memories of the women in my family gathering each evening to talk quietly and sew.  Didn't see this coming, but was it a surprise?  no.........    What began life yesterday, as a simple little black on black frou-frou cuff became today an elegant homage to a Black Swan ballerina queen.  As per usual, my artistic output is a divining rod interpreting the heart of my matter. 






No comments:

Post a Comment